Trekking in the Bolaven Highlands
Move away ever so briefly from the ever-present Mekong River and into the cool mountains of the Bolaven Plateau, Laos’s main tea and coffee-producing region. The Bolaven sits on the bottom of a crater from an ancient volcano, surrounded by equally ancient mountains.
Immerse yourself in what is literally a breath of fresh air – the Bolaven’s cool microclimate is home to beautiful waterfalls and fertile soil. Trek through this unique pocket of Southern Laos and see alongside high-grade tea and coffee, a vast variety of fruit, cardamom and rattan plantations. Sample cups of freshly brewed tea and coffee; visit the Ho Chi Minh Trail, and handicraft villages; and spot birds and wildlife.
See and do:
- Marvel at the magnificent Bolaven waterfalls
- Visit Lao coffee farms and tea plantations
- Experience the Ho Chi Minh Trail
- Embark on bird and wildlife spotting in the Dong Hua Sao National Protected Area
- Camp outdoors in the wilderness or enjoy local hospitality at homestays or guesthouses
Food and drink:
All tours provide bottled water and food.
Organised for you:
There are several trekking and combination tours available through the Bolaven Plateau ranging from 1 to 3 days. Local guides are essential. Bring hiking boots, sunscreen, hat, mosquito repellent, and preferably long pants.